No costume is not a costume! The SiliCon with Adam Savage is a family-friendly event, and costuming worn should reflect that basic premise. The minimal dress standards are full-coverage bikini top, and full-cheek coverage swimsuit bottoms. In all cases, local and state decency laws will be applied. Male attendees are strongly encouraged to wear dance belts under any thin-fabric pants (bodysuits, tights, etc.). Precautions should be taken against costume malfunctions (e.g. double-sided tape, pasties, etc.). Footwear must be worn at all times; stocking feet without shoes are not sufficient. Convention staff reserves the right to insist on modifications of costumes.
No functional weapons are allowed at the SiliCon with Adam Savage Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as a part of your costume, subject to prior approval by security and compliance with the following:
- All costume weapons must be inspected by Security.
- All costume weapons must conform to city, state, and federal law.
- Projectile costume weapons must be rendered inoperable.
- Nerf guns are allowed, but ammunition of any kind (foam or otherwise) is prohibited.
- Airsoft guns must be rendered completely inoperable beforehand, that is the gun shall not have any batteries installed, nor gas/propellant in the chamber and the chamber must be filled with wax or similar material. All airsoft guns must have a clearly visible orange tip on the barrel. All airsoft guns will be marked by security at weapons check and have their triggers zip-tied to ensure that the gun is incapable of firing.
- Functional (real) arrows must have their tips removed and be bundled and zip tied to a quiver.
- No wooden or aluminum/metal bats are permitted. Items such as bullwhips, ropes and lassos are allowed, but must remain rolled and secured at all times.
- Incendiary or flammable weapons are prohibited, including any items that are capable of igniting sparks or flames, burning, exploding or combusting.
- Do not display your weapons or props in a threatening or menacing manner. (For instance, it’s ok to pose for a picture, but cosplayers should not brandish weapons while walking the event floor.)
- Keep prop weapons in convention areas. If you leave the premises or go out into public for any reason, please put away any and all prop weaponry immediately.
- Any real weapons purchased at the convention that would normally be prohibited by the weapons policy, such as pocket knives, swords, etc., must remain in their original packaging and/or taken out to the car as soon as possible.
- Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can’t be drawn.
- After each person’s costume weapon has been checked, it will be tagged by security to designate that your weapons have been checked.
- Security will escort you to the Security Desk for inspection if your costume weapon is not tagged.
- If you do not want to have your costume weapons inspected or tagged, or if you are not willing to comply with these policies, please do not bring your costume weapons to the convention.
SiliCon with Adam Savage has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind, including but not limited to:
- Unwelcome physical contact
- Verbal harassment or abuse
- Physical assault
- Verbal or physical disruption of sanctioned and scheduled SiliCon events
Attendees found breaking our anti-harassment policy face expulsion from the show and/or arrest based on the severity of the behavior.
Yes! We highly encourage you to do so, as there will be lots to photograph! However, please be respectful and do not take photographs of any attendee, cosplayer or celebrity guest without their permission.
Yes. Keep in mind, bags are subject to search upon entry.
During the convention, the Lost and Found will be located at the main info booth in Exhibit Hall 2. After the convention is over, all items will be left with the San Jose Convention Center in the Team San Jose administrative offices. They can be contacted at 1-800-San-Jose.
Yes. For our attendees looking for a place to just relax away from the convention floor there is Quiet Room. The Quiet Room is where cosplayers and attendees alike can rest their feet away from cameras and other people. While we don’t recommend napping here, it’s a great place to just relax and get away from the stresses a convention can present. The Quiet Room is in room 233. QUIET ROOM POLICIES:
- Please be courteous of fellow attendees while enjoying your time inside of Quiet Room
- Please be mindful of your volume. No talking, but whispers are acceptable.
- Children are not permitted in the Quiet Room.
- Cameras are not permitted while inside of Quiet Room.
- No eating or drinking while inside of Quiet Room. (Bottled water is OK.)
- Please turn cell phones to vibrate or silent mode. If you must answer a phone call please take it outside of Quiet Room.
- Please turn off the volume on all gaming devices, laptops, tablets and electronics. Headphones are encouraged!
- Please do not move lounge furniture.
All attendees, exhibitors, volunteers, guests, and staff of the convention hereby expressly consent to being photographed and video recorded at the convention and acknowledge and consent to their personal images being used for commercial and promotional purposes by the promoters. Attending the convention is a waiver of any objections to being photographed and video recorded at the convention for commercial and promotional purposes by the promoters.
Photography is allowed in most areas of SiliCon with Adam Savage. Please be respectful when taking pictures and ask for the permission from your subject. Please honor all requests from those who say no to photos.
The safety of our guests is our first priority at SiliCon. In conjunction with local police and the SJCC, we have a complete multi-tiered security plan in place, including security guards, undercover police officers, guard dogs, metal detectors and many other measures. In addition, SiliCon has a NO HARASSMENT Policy and will not tolerate harassment of any kind. Any harassment should be reported to SiliCon Staff or Security. We look forward to a safe and fun third annual SiliCon.
All SiliCon attendees are welcome to enter the annual SiliCon Costume Contest
Entries will be separated into three categories:
– Novice – Contestants who have never entered a prior contest or won any awards.
– Journeyman – Contestants who have won at least one but less than 2 major cosplay/costume awards at any convention.
– Master – Contestants who have won 2 or more major cosplay/costume awards at any convention.
Maker & Cosplay Guests
We’re thrilled to be adding some of the best Makers and Cosplayers to our SiliCon guest line up.